VyOS is an open-source network OS based on GNU/Linux that provides a unified management interface for all functions like traditional hardware routers.
It runs on bare metal as well as all major hypervisors and cloud platforms, so you can use the same OS everywhere and connect your on-premises networks with cloud sites without the limitations and costs of vendor-specific VPN solutions, or you can build inexpensive remote access VPN for your remote workers.
VyOS includes everything you expect from a router:
- Routing protocols (BGP, OSPF, RIP)
- Policy-based and multipath routing
- VPN and tunneling protocols (IPsec, VTI, L2TP, OpenVPN, Wireguard, GRE, IPIP, SIT, VXLAN, L2TPv3)
- Security features (interface and zone-based firewall)
- High availability (VRRP, connection table synchronization)
- QoS, NetFlow and sFlow traffic accounting
Image-based update, stateful CLI with commit and rollback capabilities, and built-in config versioning and archiving provide simple and reliable system management.
Built-in Saltstack integration and official Ansible module allow automating configuration workflow. For custom automation solutions, an HTTP API is available.
- Advanced routing capabilities with modern protocols like BGP, OSPFv2/v3, Policy Based Routing
- Various types of VPN - IPSec, VTI over IPSec, GRE over IPSec, OpenVPN, WireGuard
- Stateful firewall, Zone-Based Firewall, NAT
VyOS is an open source project and was started in late 2013 as a community fork of the GPL portions of Vyatta Core 6.6R1 with the goal of maintaining a free and open source network operating system in response to the decision to discontinue the community edition of Vyatta. VyOS is primarily based on Debian GNU/Linux and the “FRRouting” routing engine. Its configuration syntax and Command-Line Interface are loosely derived from Juniper JUNOS as modelled by the XORP project, which was the original routing engine for Vyatta.
Some of the VyOS maintainers (Daniil Baturin, Yuriy Andamasov, Santiago Blanquet Bru De Dala) founded the company “Sentrium S.L.”, which can be basically thought as “the company behind VyOS”. Sentrium is also the company who provides support and consulting services specifically for VyOS.
A1 Digital advises companies in matters of digital transformation and guides them through the digitisation of their business areas. The focus is on industry-specific applications in the Internet of Things (IoT) as well as cloud-based products and solutions for the modern workplace.
With scalable services, A1 Digital is also an ideal partner for digital projects in medium-sized companies. As part of the Telekom Austria Group and therefore also América Móvil, the company can rely on the mature infrastructure of one of the world’s largest mobile network operators.
Find out more at www.a1.digital
VyOS is available in the following versions:
- 1.3 Rolling
- 1.4 Rolling
VyOS is free and open source software (FOSS). This means, anyone is freely licensed to use, copy, study, and change the software in any way, and the source code is openly shared so that people are encouraged to voluntarily improve the design of the software.
Usage & Technical Prerequisites
It is the responsibility of the customer to purchase support and professional services from 3rd-party providers.
Please see the bandwidth billing at Exoscale.
The customer needs to identify the necessary instance and take over the responsibility of sizing.
The deployed VyOS image uses DHCP on the first network interface to provide network connectivity. Secure Shell (SSH) is enabled by default on port 22.
Login via the CLI is possible using username “vyos” and the selected SSH key.
It is in the responsibility of the customer to protect administrative access (interface ports 22) using security groups, so that only intended people can access it.
Administrators are allowed to upgrade instances by installing new base images or hotfixes at their own responsibility.
For technical limitations, please see the official vendor documentation:
Service and Support
With the BYOL model the customer is fully responsible for service and support.
- For issues related to the software (eg.: configuration, functionality, etc.) itself, the customer needs to contact the editor:
VyOS support desk
- For issues related to the BYOL template (eg.: build issues, version issues, interaction with the underlying infrastructure, etc.), the customer needs to contact the maintainer:
A1 Digital security support desk
- For issues related to the infrastructure (eg.: account management, virtual machine issues, etc.) the customer needs to contact Exsocale:
Exoscale support desk
Terms of Service
By using this product, you agree to terms and conditions according to the VyOS license agreement.