Backup Ninja - Database Backup by Severalnines
Backup Ninja is a simple, secure, and cost-effective SaaS service you can use to backup the world’s most popular open source databases, like MySQL, PostgreSQL and MongoDB locally or in the cloud.
It easily connects to your database server through the “bartender” agent, allowing the service to manage the storage of fully-encrypted backups on the cloud storage provider of your choosing.
- Backup Ninja enables you to manage all your backups through a single GUI.
- Backup Ninja has an advanced and easy-to-use interface that allows you to configure and run database backups in just a couple clicks. The frontend communicates with an agent that you install on your database server(s), which in turn performs backups, file encryption, cloud transfers and restore procedures.
- Backups Without Scripting - Using scripts or other free tools to manage your backup can be complicated and it takes time you don’t have. Backup Ninja saves you that time with the ability to connect, schedule, and execute a backup within minutes.
- Manage Backups through a single GUI
- Backup using any combination of storage options including all Exoscale Object Storage zones
- Manage backup schedules
- Manage retention
- Logical and physical backups
- Encryption of data at-rest and in-transit
Severalnines is a Swedish company that provides automation and management software for open source databases. It helps companies deploy their databases in any environment, and manage all operational aspects to achieve several nines’ availability.
Severalnines goal is to provide the full “deploy, manage, monitor, scale” cycle to developers, thus freeing them from the complexity and learning curves that are typically associated with highly available database clusters.
Backup Ninja is a SaaS service, it relies on its agent called bartender to execute tasks on your database server.
Agents periodically pulls the latest configuration from the API endpoints of the SaaS service, and performs the necessary actions to attempt completing the assigned task.
The agent will then push the job’s state back to Backup Ninja API endpoints, allowing users to track every single job and monitor the status directly from the Backup Ninja GUI.
Once registered, a user can use Backup Ninja dashboard to manage and configure backup-related tasks which will be picked up by the corresponding agent running on the database node.
In order to use Backup Ninja, the customer must fulfill the following prerequisites:
- A database node to be backed up
- Internet connection from the backup agent to Backup Ninja API endpoints
- Backup Ninja agent is installed and running on the database node
- An active account with Backup Ninja
The technical documentation is also available online.
The service can be subscribed directly from the Exoscale portal.
The service is billed on a monthly basis, with a flat rate per agent per server with degressive pricing based on number of agents.
There is no price difference between database types.
|Agent/month (1 to 4)||36.37||40.00||40.00|
|Agent/month (5 to 9)||30.91||34.00||34.00|
The service fee is due for full-months, with the exception of the first month of usage, where it will be pro-rated by the days of usage, counting from the first day of usage included. The first 14 days are considered part of a free trial. If you cancel your subscription in the first 14 days, you are entitled for a full refund.
In order to subscribe to the product the user must fulfill the following prerequisites:
- The user needs to be an Owner or Admin of the Organization for which he desires to enable the service.
- The user is allowed to the service only in one of the Organizations he belongs to.
- The Organization must be either Post-paid or have enough credit for one full month of consumption at the minimum possible fee.
The service can be cancelled at any time directly from the Exoscale portal.
Usage & Technical Prerequisites
Backup Ninja has been tested on the following operating systems (x86_64 architecture only):
- CentOS 6, 7
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, 7
- Ubuntu Server 12.04, 14.04, 16.04, 18.04 LTS
- Debian 7, 8, 9
Backup Ninja supports the following database engines and versions:
|DBMS||Vendor||Supported Major Versions|
|MySQL||Oracle||5.5, 5.6, 5.7, 8.0|
|Codership||5.5, 5.6, 5.7, 8.0|
|Percona||5.5, 5.6, 5.7, 8.0|
|MariaDB||MariaDB||10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4|
|PostgreSQL||PostgreSQL||9.6, 10, 11|
|TimescaleDB||9.6, 10, 11|
|MongoDB||MongoDB||4.0, 4.1, 4.2|
|Percona||4.0, 4.1, 4.2|
Service and Support
Support is provided by the Severalnines Support team. A Support link is available directly in the application, or the user can fill in a form at:
Response time SLA is one business day.